Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Are you as stupid as I am?

My cousin was working on a school assignment and was having difficulty solving it. I took a look at the problem and I could NOT answer the problem. I felt SO stupid. I looked at it for a couple minutes, thought about it for a while, and then just gave up. I don't feel as stupid because my aunt couldn't figure it out either. Then, my uncle Robert sat down for 20 minutes and finally came up with the correct answer. Keep in mind, this question is in a book for grades 3 - 6.

Anyone who's interested, here is the question. You may want to talk out loud when thinking about the problem, or write down what you're thinking. I'll post the answer later, but let me know if you get the answer and let me know how long it took you to get the answer.

Question: What's in a Name?

The last names of Ruth, Scott, Talisa, and Walter are Ithling, Jacobs, King, and Latimer. From the clues below, match up the first and last name of each person.

1. King, who is Latimer's grandfather, is not related to Ruth.

2. Scott is 5 years old.

3. Scott is not related to Walter or Jacobs.

*remember, this question was in a book for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th graders. Makes you really feel stupid.
- Michelle

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Ym, math is not really my thing, especially word problems...I'm not even going to attempt it!

Glodowski said...

Im going to take a random guess...
Scott Ithling, Walter King, Ruth Jacobs and Talisa Latimer.

Aubrey Leong said...

This took me a little while...but here is what I came up with: Walter Kin, Talisa Latimer, Scott Ithing & Ruth Jacobs.

Teri said...

This took me 4minutes:
Talisa Latimer
Walter King
Scott Ithling
and Ruth Jacobs

Aubrey Leong said...

Well aren't you just the smartie pants Teri!

Unknown said...

I did it pretty quick...not sure how quick...couple minutes maybe!