Thursday, November 6, 2008

I receive weekly emails from Geoff Kors, Executive Director for No on Prop 8. Today, I received this email from the group of directors regarding the recent loss. Normally I would not put this on my blog, but I feel that this email should be shared. This was a cause I was very emotionally invested in.

I admit, I was not the person who put a lawn sign on my front yard for the cause. I didn't stand on the corner waving a sign and screaming for Proposition 8. I didn't go door to door to try to sway people's votes a certain direction.....But I regret not doing any of those things.

I truly thought that California voters would vote for equality. I understand that a No vote on Prop 8 would cause several business to go out of business such as adoption agencies. It's a horrible thought that a company might go out of business because they stayed strong to their religious beliefs. But anyway you look at the situation, it all comes down to equal rights.

I truly believe that every person should be treated equally and when I heard that Prop 8 passed, I felt confused and I really felt disappointed that the people of California voted Yes.

I KNOW that same-sex marriages will be legal in the state of California one day. Every person deserves the same rights, no matter what their orientation may be.



Below is the letter.

"Dear Friend,

We had hoped never to have to write this email. Sadly, fueled by misinformation, distortions and lies, millions of voters went to the polls yesterday and said YES to bigotry, YES to discrimination, YES to second-class status for same-sex couples.

And while the election was close, and millions of votes still remain uncounted, it has become apparent that we lost.

There is no question this defeat is hard. Thousands of people have poured their talents, their time, their resources and their hearts into this struggle for freedom and this fight to have their relationships treated equally. Much has been sacrificed in this struggle.

While we knew the odds for success were not with us, we believed Californians could be the first in the nation to defeat the injustice of discriminatory measures like Proposition 8.And while victory is not ours this day, we know that because of the work done here, freedom, fairness and equality will be ours someday.

Just look at how far we have come in a few decades.Up until 1974 same-sex intimacy was a crime in California. There wasn't a single law recognizing the relationships of same-sex couples until 1984 -- passed by the Berkeley School District. San Francisco did not pass domestic-partner protections until 1990; the state of California followed in 2005. And in 2000, Proposition 22 passed with a 23% majority.

Today, we fought to retain our right to marry and millions of Californians stood with us. Over the course of this campaign everyday Californians and their friends, neighbors and families built a civil rights campaign unequalled in California history.You raised more money than anyone believed possible for an LGBT civil rights campaign.You reached out to family and friends in record numbers -- helping hundreds of thousands of Californians understand what the LGBT civil rights struggle is really about.You built the largest grassroots and volunteer network that has ever been built -- a coalition that will continue to fight until all people are equal.And you made the case to the people of California and to the rest of the world that discrimination -- in any form -- is unfair and wrong.

We are humbled by the courage, dignity and commitment displayed by all who fought this historic battle.Victory was not ours today. But the struggle for equality is not over.

Because of the struggle fought here in California -- fought so incredibly well by the people in this state who love freedom and justice -- our fight for full civil rights will continue.Activist and writer Anne Lamott writes, "Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up."We stand together, knowing... our dawn will come."

- MICHELLE

6 comments:

Ford Family said...

On the comments listed on your blog, it would appear that we are almost in total agreement. I like you, agree that bigotry, hatred, discrimination, should all be behind us. Fortunately it appears that that has occured in the election of our President and for everyone I know, who voted YES on 8, the forementioned did not play a part in the yes vote. I am sure for some there are those who would not vote for Pres. Obama because he was black and there are also those who would vote yes on 8 because they were homophobes or bigots. I just don't know any of those people. The majority of the people in California are not that way and none of my friends are that way. I think a YES vote for prop 8 is strictly based on preserving the institution of marriage as God clearly intended it to be. Gay marriage is clearly not a religious union therefore I can't understand why the people for NO on prop 8 would want to make religion conform to their standards. Shouldn't a religious vow remain just that? There is no question that every gay man and woman should be afforded equal rights in every aspect of the law. But, in fairness to those in the religious community I don't think it's fair that we have to change our values to conform to theirs. Voting YES or NO doesn't make one person good or bad it is just a difference of opinion and for the YES on 8 people fortunately they don't have to have their values altered by others.
---Dad Ford

Sundquist Family said...

In my opinion the Fundamental rights of a person should be held in higher regard then another person's "values." I do not want to argue my point. I simply wanted to express my feeling on the recent vote. No response was required by readers of the blog.

Anonymous said...

I feel you. I was so disappointed with this supposedly forward thinking state. I honestly am still shocked that it passed. It makes me so sad for the couples who married and now will have their license revoked. I can't even imagine how that would feel.

Teri said...

Ya know Michelle, I totally agree with you and I had the hardest time understanding why people would want to take away the rights of others and on a church stand point why they would want to take away someone else's free agency, is that not what the church is always preaching about free agency.
By the time the election came around the only reason that I decided to support the yes on proposition 8 was because it would mean that churches would have to stop performing marriages or be threatened with Law Suits. I have no problem with gay and lesbian couples getting married, that is their choice but if they plan to make a statement saying we are discriminating against them, then they need to realize that they are doing the same to churches. Forcing a church to do something they do not believe in is ridiculous. They will sue churches starting with the Mormon church and you know it. We will have to stop performing marriages in the temple and in the churches.
I felt still like maybe I was assuming people would attack the church and other churches but after seeing the Prop 8 get passed and seeing how the people responded I know that they are not caring about equal rights, if they did then they would not threaten to burn down our temples and go to harass our Prophet.
I have no problem with Gay and Lesbian people getting married but they have to realize if they want others to respect their rights they need to respect the rights of others as well.
Please read this article if you do not believe they are threatening horrible things to the LDS church,but Michelle I totally understand your point of view and I agree no one should take away others free agency and equal rights but it works both ways. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-me-protest7-2008nov07,0,151957.story

Teri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.